GREAT QUOTES TO WRITE ABOUT
These quotes can be easily used as a writing prompt. For example:
Alex Haley wrote, "History is written by winners." Explain what this quote means to you.
When we think of history, we have to ask who writes the history books. Alex Haley wrote, "History is written by winners." Do you think
he is correct? Why or why not?
Each of the quotes below can be used with this format: the author said, "insert quote." Explain what this quote means to you.
You can also add more direction to each of these quotes as needed. The quotes that are underlined provide sample writing prompts.
QUOTES BY FAMOUS PEOPLE
Quotes by Albert Einstein:
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.
- Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
- A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
- I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
- It is strange to be known so universally and yet to be so lonely.
- I never thinkm of the future - it comes soon enough.
- Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Quotes by Ralph Waldo Emerson:
- The only way to have a friend is to be one.
- Grow angry slowly - there's plenty of time.
- There is always time enough for courtesy.
- Hitch your wagon to a star.
- Write in your heart that every day is the best day of the year.
- Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
Quotes by Henry Ford:
- If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.
- Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.
Quotes by Anne Frank:
- How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.
- Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.
- Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction.
- I don't think of all the misery but the beauty that still remains.
- Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.
- Who would ever think that so much went on in the soul of a young girl?
- Whoever is happy will make others happy too.
Quotes by Alex Haley:
- Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.
- In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future.
- In my writing, as much as I could, I tried to find the good, and praise it.
- History is written by the winners.
- When you clench your fist, no one can put anything in your hand, nor can your hand pick up anything.
Quotes by Eleanor Roosevelt:
- The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Quotes by J. K. Rowling:
- It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends.
- It is our choices . . . that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
- You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.
- It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Quotes by William Shakespeare:
- This, too, shall pass.
- A light heart lives long.
- Hear the meaning within the word.
- Say as you think and speak it from your souls.
- Why then, can one desire too much of a good thing?
- What is the city but the people?
- I am not bound to please thee with my answers.
` QUOTES BY PRESIDENTS
- "Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write" (John Adams).
- "Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together" (Woodrow Wilson).
- "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country" (John F. Kennedy).
- "Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected" (George Washington).
- "A child miseducated is a child lost" (John F. Kennedy).
- "There are no problems we cannot solve together, and very few that we can solve by ourselves" (Lyndon B. Johnson).
- "There are two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and hte other how to live" (John Adams).
- "My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother" (George Washington).
- "Peace and justice are two sides of hte same coin" (Dwight D. Eisenhower).
- "We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children" (Jimmy Carter).
- "Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom" (Thomas Jefferson).
- "The world moves, and ideas that were once good are not always good" (Dwight D. Eisenhower).
- "Do not conceive that fine clothes make fine men, any more than fine feathers make fine birds" (George Washington).
- "Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names" (John F. Kennedy).
- "We are not the sum of our possessions" (George H. W. Bush).
- "Peace is a journey of a thousand miles and it must be taken one step at a time" (Lyndon B. Johnson).
- "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word" (Andrew Johnson).
- "Do what you can, with wht you have, where you are" (Theodore Roosevelt).
- "Our country is like a new house. We lack many things, but we possess the most precious of all - liberty!" (James Monroe).
- "To the victors belong the spoils" (Andrew Jackson).
- "War settles nothing" (Dwight D. Eisenhower).
- "Ideas control the world" (James A. Garfield).
- "Labor disgraces no man; unfortunately, you occasionally find men who disgrace labor" (Ulysses S. Grant).
INSPIRATIONAL QUOTES BY VARIOUS AUTHORS:
- "Every child is born a genius" (Richard Buckminster Fuller).
- "We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open" (Harry Edwards).
- "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be" (Lao Tzu).
- "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" (Mahatma Gandhi).
- "Keep hope alive!" (Jesse Jackson).
- "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" (John F. Kennedy).
- "This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalms 118:24).
- "Whatever you can do, or dream you can - begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it" (Goethe).
- "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there" (Lewis Carroll).
- "Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see" (Mark Twain).
- "All our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" (Walt Disney).
- "Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely" (karen Kaiser Clark).
- "The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here" (Robert. G. Ingersoll).
- "Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is" (Vince Lombardi).
- "Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement"(Brian Tracy).
- "Don't bunt. Aim out of the ballpark" (David Ogilvy).
- "A penny for your thoughts" (Heywood).
- "The moon is made of a green cheese" (Heywood).
- "Be like a postage stamp - stick to one thing till you get there" (Josh Billings).
- "Laughter is a gift everyone should open" (Gene Mitchener).
- "Joy is the feeling of grinning on the inside" (Melba Colgrove).
- "Man cannot live by bread alone; he must have peanut butter" (James. A. Garfield).
- "Life's better when it's fun" (Kevin Costner).
- "No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise" (Lewis Carroll).
- "Ankles are nearly always neat and good-looking, but knees are nearly always not" (Dwight D. Eisenhower).
- "Take it from me, every vote counts" (Al Gore).
- "I only know two tunes. One of them is 'Yankee Doodle' and the other isn't" (Ulysses S. Grant).
- "An amazing invention - but who would want to use one?" (Rutherford B. Hayes - about the telephone).
- "An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh" (Will Rogers).