Reading 095 Short Story Questions
Please answer the questions below carefully and completely. Most of these questions will not be able to
be answered with a single word, but will require explanation of your answer.
Questions for "To Build a Fire" by Jack London:
1. Why do you think the author does not tell the reader the man's name?
2. What does the man do to cause the dog to put distance between himself and the man?
3. Describe the man's characteristics. Is he young, old? Strong, frail? Smart, feeble-minded? Kind, arrogant? A full answer to
this question will require at least one paragraph.
4. What lesson do you think the author is trying to teach the reader?
5. What breed is the dog?
6. Why is the man unable to buid a fire?
7. Where does the dog go at the end of the story?